Please visit the other 'Bricks' blogs:
ArtisticBricks ComicBricks ContestBricks DisneyBricks GodBricks
MicroBricks MinilandBricks SciBricks TolkienBricks VignetteBricks

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

micro crane

Over the years, AFOLs have come up with lots of different ways to represent continuous tracks in micro. Most techniques involve stretching a tire, like this or this.

This tank by Fredoichi uses the narrow Technic link chain wrapped around a Technic liftarm.

The designers at LEGO came up with a simple solution for the micro crane in the 2010 City Advent Calendar, set 2824. They used a Technic liftarm.



Other micro vehicles in set 2824 include a bulldozer, a fire truck, an airplane, and a helicopter. See them all in this photo review.

4 comments:

Peter Hoh said...

Managed to find a couple earlier examples of tracks on micro crane MOCs here and here.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if there was a connection between the Flickr traffic I saw and this post, and there it is in the comments!

I just wish I could have figured out a decent version of the top of that crane. It got scrapped not too many days later.

OTOH - it was useful a few years later when I did the combine harvester for the TWINLUG farm modules. (If I can just find a picture of it...)

Peter Hoh said...

Nathan, I bet there are a few designers in Billund who wish they
could have figured out a better version to the top of the 2824 crane, too. There are severe limitations for certain kinds of detail when working in microscale.

I think you did a great job with your tower crane. Too bad the string was kinky.

Maybe I should write a post titled "Kinky Micro Madness." That should drive some traffic your way.

Peter Hoh said...

Here's a better photo of David Pickett's crawler crane.